Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Five Months Old

Notice something new about the scale photo? This month, O started sitting up on his own! He still has to be supported by someone else at his back or by himself with his arms, but he is up-right (unlike his mom--keep reading for details on that). So...this month, I thought we should change positions for the scale picture to highlight this fun change in baby O. This was not an easy feat. The first time, O face planted off the scale. I felt like a horrible mom and was afraid he might not get back up there. Good thing for me he found humor in toppling over and had no fear of trying it again. This time, I grabbed a couple of bricks from the garage to put under the platform of the scale so it wouldn't tip to dramatically (Aggie Engineering did me well!). And, viola, here is O at five months...sitting on this scale!

O weighed in at 16 pounds and 14 ounces this morning. His length is still a mystery... after this photo, I was carrying O around the house getting his things together so he could hang out in our bedroom while Daddy Q and I got ready for work. I bent over to grab a pacifier that was on the floor, stood back up, and couldn't move. Literally, I was stuck in the exact position I stood in and I was hurting. Daddy Q was putting on his socks at the stairs, heard me calling for him, and ran in with one sock half on--don't ask me how I noticed this in my pain, but I did.

He took O from me and then waited for me to move. I couldn't. This is when I started to panic. I couldn't lift my hands to his shoulders to allow him to support me when I moved, I couldn't get my left foot to take weight, and I couldn't sit down. We contemplated 911, but thought that extreme. Daddy Q put O down, and then supported me as I walked to the couch with tears in my eyes. I rigidly laid down and there I stayed for seven hours (except for the one time I crawled to the restroom). Daddy Q did some research on the net, determined I had a back spasm that wasn't going away, and took care of me. What a change in plans.

Around 3, I was able to move around enough to get to the doctor. Turns out many new moms have an episode like this. Back muscles are weak from the pregnancy and then all of the forward lifting puts a strain on them. That, and my left foot is losing its arch. So, I should be good after a few visits to a Chiro and a couple of massages. I am getting around only about as good as I was 2 - 3 days post C-Section. Geez...this hurts.

Back to O...he had a busy 5th month of life. He starting sitting up better. He still loves to stand up and is getting more and more steady. Sometimes, he won't sit down--you have to kind of coax him from a standing to a sitting position. He has added rice cereal, oatmeal, green beans, and split peas to his diet. He is so funny when he eats green beans or split peas. He opens his little mouth like a bird and lunges toward us for the spoon. If I take too long, he fusses at me. Too funny! His little personality is jovial and sweet. Everything is a laugh--this baby has the sweetest smile and he gives it out to everyone he meets. I love being with him in public because people always comment on his huge grin--I love that he makes other people smile!

06-05-08 Measured Punkadoo--he is 26 inches long. My back still hurts....feeling better than yesterday though.

1 comments:

Kristie said...

Oh I am so sorry that you hurt your back! I hope that you get to feeling better soon. Cutter and I are trying out the level 2 class on Tuesday, so I will let you know how it goes. ~Kristie