Saturday, July 16, 2011

Can I have a motorcycle?

Last Monday on America's Got Talent, a dad and his two kids (one 13 and one 8) did their act while my boys and their dad watched. The kids rode on motorcycles inside a sphere cage with their dad standing in the middle directing them like a conductor. After the act, Owen turns to Gerard and asks if he can get a motorcycle from Target. Gerard's response was not what I expected. He simply replied, "Owen, not EVERYthing comes from Target." Ha!



On Friday, Owen asked me the same question. And I didn't reply quite as a should have. Instead of saying "no, you are too little" or "not while you are living in my house" as one of my momma friends says to her little guy, I said "Owen, you can't even ride your bike without training wheels, yet". Well. that wasn't the right thing to say.



Owen must really want a motorcycle, because he promptly replied to me with "Well, let's take them off so I can learn". And, we did.

Early morning practicing.

Owen practicied on and off all day Friday. When Gerard got home from work, we wanted to go to a field to try some more. So, we loaded his cheering squad in a double stroller....

....and Owen got to practice some more.

Gosh, he looks like such a big kid. Boo, hoo.

We took a few breaks to ride the scooter really, really fast down the hill ;-)





And then Middle Brother wanted to try riding the bike....

And then Owen got brave enough to say "Let go, Dad". He didn't make it far before toppling over, but I am just so proud of him for trying.

If he keeps practicing, I think we will have a full-on bike rider in a week or two. I will have to get his helmet on him the next time we practice just in case that's when he decided to take off!



Thought this was funny. Liam was hot and thirsty and wanting juice. I was so busy taking pictures of Owen that Liam got a bit loud....

Today, I took the boys for a hair cut. For the last 6 months or so, they have sat in the chair together for their hair cuts. When we try one at a time, the one in the chair cries, screams, and wants to get down with the one NOT in the chair. I finally had the lightbulb go off in my brain, and tried this. It works. I have never had a problem talking a stylist into doing it. I say "you can have one, very difficult kid in the chair, or two very calm, still kids." They ususally pick the latter. ;-) And, we usually get a lot of attention from everyone in the place b/c they are so good and so stinkin cute ;-)



It certainly takes creativity and lots of energy to be a parent to three little boys!

0 comments: