Monday, February 4, 2008

O is One Month Old Today!

I can't beleive that our baby boy is already one month old. Time is flying by too fast! I hope you all have received the birth annoucement so that I don't ruin the suprise with this post! The "Newborn" scale photo is in the annoucement--I took that shortly after coming home from the hospital. I thought it would be neat to take a photo each month on the 4th to mark his change in weight, length, and development. You can already see how much more alert he is, that he stretches out his body more, and that he has gained weight and length in one month. By one year, I hope to have him standing on the scale (with someone helping, of course). It will be my project: "The Evolution of O" ;-) So...look for these on the 4th of each month!

Fun facts about O's first month--in one month, O:

* Gained 2 pounds and 15 ounces.

* Grew 2 1/2 inches longer.

* Has strenthened his neck and shoulder muscles significantly; he lifts his head up and holds it to look around for about 10 - 15 seconds.

* Loves to look at lights, especially the can lights in the kitchen, the lamp in his bedroom, and the sunlight streaming through the blinds in the family room. In fact, the other night was a "fussy night" and the only way to quiet him was to hold him and keep the lamp on my side of the bed on. When Dad turned it off, he screamed!

* Has a favorite toy! Of all of his toys, this elephant that was $2.99 at Target is his favorite. It is the one toy that calms him when he is unhappy, that he consistantly smiles at, and the first one that he really grabbed for.

* Smiles when I kiss the space under his chin!

* Has started looking at us directly in the face (instead of at the lamp nearest your face) when you talk to him. This only started this weekend. If he hears me talking, he will turn his head in my direction. I love this.
* Is recognizing his hands and beginning to use them to grab at things. He grabs his stuffed elephant by the trunk really well. And, one of the toys on the activity mat is very popular with him--he can open the shell to see the animal inside by punching at it. It seems purposeful to me.

* Begun making cooing noises. He looks like he really wants to say something when you talk to him. Sometimes, he gets so excited about whatever it is, that his arms and legs just dance and flail! I will try to teach him sign language later this year! I think he uses his hands so much now, that he will be a natural.

* Has grown little rolls. I love the ones on his thighs and arms! These rolls confirm to me that my little man is healthy and growing!

* Has completely captured our hearts! I can't beleive it is possible to love someone this much! I enjoy every moment with him, even the ones at 3 AM (once I am able to drag myself out of bed). It is a joy to watch him discover new things. He gets so mesmarized by the simplist things. I find it interesting to try to pinpoint what it is he sees and how he sees it--I never thought blinds were this interesting before O!!

As proof that I didn't make O spend his ENTIRE one-month birthday posing for photos, I have attached the infamous activity mat picture of the day! He got some fun in before his morning nap!

Hope you all have enjoyed O's first month almost as much as I have!

1 comments:

Rob and Leah said...

I can't believe he's one month already. It's amazing how much he's grown! I love the scale pictures and can't wait to see them each month. Your photography is excellent. Evan is 17 months today. They seems miles apart now but really aren't!