Thursday, September 8, 2011

Batter up!

Owen watches little kids practice with their teams in the fields by the elementary school by our house. He has watched soccer, baseball, and football teams meet and play as we walk or drive by. All summer, he asked me when he could practice with his team. Well, today was his day. I researched fall sports in the area and found something called Blastball that the Plano Baseball Association does. Its like t-ball, but a little simpler and lower key. The bases squeak. The bats are foam. The ball is squashy. No gloves. No batting helmets. No throwing the ball. To get an "out" they field the ball and raise it over their head and yell "Blastball". Sounded cute to me and like something that could be right up my sweet little guys alley.


His first practice was today. All day he was excited. When we got there, the first thing he did was try out that squeaky base. I knew he would like that. LOL.

He did even better than I hoped. He met his teammates. Met his coach. And started practicing like such a big boy. I have to admit, I anticipated he may just sit with me on the sidelines. He didn't. I teared up.

The "batting coach" got him all situated and he hit a few balls. This, of course, is his favorite part!

After practice, the uniforms were handed out!! Yippee! If Owen was excited about practicing with his team, it was nothing compared to the thrill he got out of getting his "uniform"!

Owen picked number 3. He adjusted his hat. He squeaked the base a few more times. He is in little boy heaven.

After practice--a kitty showed up. 2/3rds of the players headed on over....
Just a reminder that they are, in fact, 3 year olds.
Owen loved the kitty almost as much as baseball practice.

We may have a shot at the World Series if kitty stays away from the field. LOL


Go Royal Blue Knights!!!

0 comments: