Sunday, April 13, 2008

Baptism


April 13, 2008 was a very special day for our family. Today, we baptised our baby boy and professed our commitment to raising him in faith. Baby N was baptised along with O. It was the sweetest ceremony I could ever have imagined. Both boys had precious outfits. O's had tiny crosses stitched into the collar. His shoes were handed down by Grammie; they were the shoes that Uncle Ben wore when he was baptised.

This was a very meaningful day for me. I was baptised 31 years ago by my Uncle Dean. A photograph from that day hung in our hallway when I was a child. Every time I caught a glimpse of that picture I was reminded that my parents committed to raising me as a child of God. If ever I was struggling with something in school, or thought my parents were being too hard on me, or doubted that God was there, that photograph reminded me His love and my parent's commitment to me. It meant a lot to me today to take a photograph of O with the Pastor that baptised him so that if ever he doubts our intentions or love for him, he too can be reminded that we are doing our best by him and that we love him completely. I will probably place that photograph outside of his bedroom, too!

After the baptism, the Pastor and Assoc. Pastor carried Baby O and Baby N to introduce them to the church. When Baby N reached out to O while they were standing in the middle of one of the aisles, it brought tears to my eyes. I wish for the happiest life for both of these boys and hope that they will grow to be very close friends--the kind of friends that look out for one another, share joy in small things, and laugh daily--the kind of friends that I am blessed to have. When the preacher said that as teenagers she hopes that their every action is filled with grace, I have to admit that I chuckled. I am sure that there will be some moments that they will not be proud of (to say the least). But, I hope that they are together in those moments and that they keep each other safe.

Grandpa Texan, Grammie, Paw Paw Mc, and Uncle Ben (from Michigan) came to share in our commitment; O's English Grandma was there in spirit and sent him a very sweet note today. Some photographs from the day follow (thanks, Dad, for taking the pictures).

The Boys all dressed up for their special day.

Baby O with Pastor Kathleen.

Baby N just before his baptism.

Baby O just before his baptism (he was "talking" as I handed him to the Pastor).
The family blessing Baby O; Grammie is there behind Uncle Ben and Paw Paw Mc.

The boys being introduced to the church.
At the front of the church just before prayer.

Baby O in his Christening Shawl (traditional in England) sent to us from Justin & Wendy.

Shoes worn by Uncle Ben during his baptism.

The family in attendance (dressed down for tamales!).

1 comments:

Rob and Leah said...

What a sweet post and precious pictures. It sounds like it was a very meaningful day.