Monday, November 9, 2009

It was good to be gone; but, it is great to be home!


My team and I completed our Breast Cancer 3 Day journey on Sunday. It was an amazing experience. There are no words to describe the roller coaster of emotions that I felt over the 60 mile, 3 day, tent-camping, port-a-potty using walk with seven of the most amazing women in DFW.

The journey is hard to describe.... One moment you are rolling with laughter at a story told. One moment, you round a corner and come upon a cheering station...at first, you feel pride and joy at seeing everyone, and then you are overcome with emotion knowing that people who don't know you are there supporting you, thanking you, and loving you. One moment you see 2 men holding up a sign with two holes cut out for them to peer though...its reads "these two boobs thank you"...you laugh so hard. One moment you read a man's t-shirt that is a tribute to his wife that is no longer with him due to Breast Cancer...and you cry like you knew her. One moment something funny happens and you are laughing so hard you might cry. One moment you look around the 8x8 tent cramped with 8 women drinking a "smuggled" bottle of wine telling stories of things "we don't know about each other" and think...I can't believe I only met these people months ago...I feel like I've known them forever. One moment you see a 16 year old girl walking 60 miles because she believes. One moment you see a 60 year old man walking 60 miles because he believes. One moment you see a friend pushing another in a wheelchair because they both believe. And then you reach the finish line. What a journey. What an experience.

For all of you that helped me fund raise, thank you. This was one of the most amazing things I have ever done in my life.

And, then I came home to a warm cozy bed, toilets that flush, and my two boys who I love so much...

I am not sure I have mentioned this; but, little dude has been rolling over for ages. I think the first time I went to his crib and found him on his back when I laid him on his tummy, he was 7 or 8 weeks old. Yet, I never saw him do it. More recently, it has become a joke. He would be playing on his activity mat, I would walk out of the room and return to find him on his back. Last Thursday, I sat vigil...bound and determined to see it for myself. But, guess what. The 3 times I left the room for a split second were the 3 times he chose to roll. Seriously. Today, I left him on his back, and returned to find him on his tummy. You've got to be kidding me. Then tonight, right before bed, after 9 weeks of knowing that the little dude is rolling over, but never seeing it. I saw it. I saw him do it from tummy to back. From back to tummy. And watched him army crawl to a toy. What fun!!!
He must have forgotten I was in the room ;-)

1 comments:

Jill said...

I loved seeing those two guys with their face sticking through the posterboard!