Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hindsight is 20/20

This morning, I was looking for things to do. I was going to take the boys to the library for story time; but, then had the bright idea to take them to a local movie grill that offers a Summer Children's Series where the movies are $1, the lights are dimmed (not pitch black), and the sound is turned down a bit. I thought that this would be a great first movie experience for my guys. A friend of mine agreed; so, we planned to meet for the show.

45 minutes before the show, I go to wake a sleeping Liam, get him dressed, and into the car, get Owen's shoes on him (after a series of him throwing them and saying he doesn't need shoes until I let him walk barefoot to the car and he figured out that the driveway, when heated by the hot Texas sun, hurts his feet), go to the cash machine, and then drive to.... the WRONG theater. Ugh. So, we finally arrive at the right place about 7 minutes after the movie started. Not bad, considering. I walk in with my two little kids, go to the ticket counter, and learn that the movie is sold out. What?

No way to tell the friends we are meeting. No way to soothe my sad toddler who knows his friend is in seeing the movie and we aren't. No way to get the littler one to stop crying cause he was awakened from his nap for nothin'. I wanted to cry, too.

I loaded them back in the car, we went to McDonald's, and then asked Owen if he might still be interested in the library option (that he didn't choose before, mind you). Compared to going home, that sounded good. He did want to confirm, first, that his buddy Liam would get to go. Uh...yes.

So, we went to the library. Liam explored a big giant book about birds for a few seconds.
They both enjoyed taking books off the shelf to look at the cover and then Owen would put them back (most of the time).

Liam is particularly drawn to birds and science books ;-)

The best part of the library, though, was the Nemo scavenger hunt. I asked the librarian if Owen could try to do it. I wasn't sure he would really get it. She didn't bat an eye. Owen got his little card, and we set about to find yellow fish that had Nemo stickers on them. As he found one, he was to match the sticker on the fish to the picture on his card, and then circle the picture with his pencil. I helped him with the first one and then he knew just what to do.
He found 6 of the 10 all by himself. A couple of them he even spotted before me. I was impressed.
I helped him with 2 that were really high. We still had one left. Owen's 2nd disappointment of the day...but, he was taking this one better. We turned in our sad little card missing one circle, and the librarian had mercy. She helped him with the one we both missed....and, we got his prize. He picked a ball, of course.

I still felt sick over the movies. Owen was so excited. So, I asked the neighbor to baby sit Liam and Owen and I took off to see Toy Story 3 (we were going this weekend, so I didn't really want to go today, but I felt so bad for dissappointing him). So, we got our tickets, 3D glasses, lemonaide, popcorn, and M&Ms and headed to our movie.
The doors opened, and Owen stopped in his tracks. A kind lady helped me carry our lemondades so that I could carry in a nervous Owen. We found seats, sat down, and immediately Owen asked to go home. He said it was "too loud and too scarey." We lasted about 5 minutes, when I decided not to pressure him, but to go on home.
We went home and took long naps.
In hindsight, we should have just gone to story time at the library this morning.
Oh well.

0 comments: