Sunday, July 25, 2010

PayDay

Last week, our neighbors were on vacation. In their absence, we checked their mail, picked up packages, and made sure that no fliers from solicitors were left in the door. Upon their return, they paid Owen for his hard work. So, today, July 25th, was Owen's very first payday...EVER.
Lucky for my little consumer, he has gone with me countless times to the grocery store, Target, Babies R Us, etc., etc., etc. So, he knows all about money. He kept saying "My First Money" and "Stevie gave this to me" and "It has a 5 on it"...

...and, most importantly, "I can buy candies."

So, we took our proud little earner to the store....
In the store, Owen went straight for the "candies" aisle. He picked up some bubble gum, first. I suggested that he pick something different, and showed him the many colors of bags that Skittles came in. He selected turquoise. Then, he asked me which I thought "Wiam" would like. How sweet. He is getting some for Liam. Then, it dawned on me, that Owen might not understand that he earned this money and could get more for himself--it is a slightly different situation. So, I explained this to him. He listened, but sweetly insisted on picking some for "Wiam." He picked the same turquoise Skittles for Liam and continued to mull over the vast selection.

He next picked up a pack of BubbleYum for his Daddy. Awww. I am about to tear up now...he is being so generous. I told him that Daddy would LOVE something that Owen picked and asked him to look over everything and try to find what Daddy usually gets. Owen spotted the Rolos and picked them up for his Dad (precisely what Daddy gets). Then, he turned to me...."what do you like, mamma." Oh, what a sweet heart!
He went to counter, waited in line, and, when it was his turn, I set him on the counter with his four "candies." He handed them over, along with his $5, and waited proudly while he got his change....what?....more money???....he was quite confused. When he got his bag of candy, he put his change in there and we went to the car.
We passed Daddy and Owen yelled out "Daddy, I got chokate por ewe." He dug around in his bag and then produced the Rolos to Daddy. We got in the car, and he dug around and got the Skittles out for Liam. He then handed me my Reece's Peanut Butter Cups {yum} and his Skittles, asking me to open his candies for him.
He was so proud of himself. So was I. He was so sweet, so generous, and so proud. Sometimes, I can't believe he is only "two and a 'haaaaaaaaaaf'".

2 comments:

Rob and Leah said...

Yeah! Now I can comment! Congrats on your pregnancy. We are so excited for y'all!
I love the money story. How sweet of him to think of his fam!

Lisa Carr said...

What a sweet story. I have a 20 month old, so I enjoyed it. Lisa from Alabama