Thursday, May 21, 2009

Owen's First Day at SoccerTots!

Today was our first day at SoccerTots! One of my Mom2Mom friends organized a special class just for all of us--so, the class if full of friends we know and love!!

I kept telling Owen this morning that we were going to play with his friends, soccer balls, and goals. He was really excited and raced to the door. I have been wanting to snap a pic of him opening it, just 'cause it is sooooo cute since he is just barely tall enough to do it. But, he can do it! so, we have to keep the door locked AND/OR the garage door down. Otherwise, he can now escape. 98% of the time, we leave the house sans blanket. But, today O wanted to take it with....his top, left "fang" tooth is coming in, so he doesn't feel so great. I'll print this one and frame it, just cause it is special to me.

Anyhow, back to SoccerTots! I have to say that looking back at these photos made me feel better about how he did in the class. While there, I was pretty darn frustrated. He loves the balls so much, that often when the kids weren't kicking them, he was pretty upset. Once, he through a full-on tantrum 'cause the activity with the cool, squishy balls was over and the Coach wanted Owen to give it back--what????--give a ball up? No way, Jose! Owen really has pretty much stopped throwing tantrums, so this really threw me for a loop. I certainly don't want to take him if he is going to be upset more than happy.

But, looking back at the photos reminded me that he did enjoy a lot of the activities. I think I let the ones he didn't, or was just a little too little to do, overshadow all of the ones that he did *get* and enjoy. I also reminded myself that he HATED swim the first day, but now that we are in a routine in the class and he knows what to expect, he LOVES it. So, we'll continue trying SoccerTots and hope the little guy gets used to the fact that the activities rotate and he can't just kick goals all of the time AND that he starts to follow some of the other kiddos and does {and enjoys} more of the activities.

In the meantime, here are some highlights from today...

Kicking the balls into the goals!! Owen and three of his friends, Abby, Parker, and Emma, in the net.

If you can't kick a ball...how about a balloon? Owen enjoyed this one just as much as the balls. They kicked balloons, hit balloons, and headed balloons. Fun, fun!
Owen and Noble heading out to kick over cones...the next activity was putting them back upright with their feet, only! Owen did two and then got mad about the "no hands" rule ;-)
Owen smiling post-kicking-over-the-cone.

I HATE that I off N's head in this one. I put the camera down just as I saw the picture happening before my eyes. This is all I got...but, look at his gusto!!!

So, that was some of what they did! It was 45 minutes of moving, moving, moving! The class really is awesome and I feel like Owen will enjoy it more and more in time.

0 comments: