Friday, December 4, 2009

Handmade by Owen. Cherished by Mom.

Owen came home from "school" yesterday with an ornament he made. As we were walking out of school, I asked him about it. He beamed from ear to ear. So proud of it. I know he is so little and his attention span, even littler ;-), so there is a really big chance that the teacher either 1) had a really big part of making it, or 2) made the whole thing. But, you know what, I don't care. That smile told me he was proud and made me feel like he had a big part in making it and was happy I asked him about it.

Today, I asked him if he wanted to put it on our tree. We've had the trees (yes, we have more than one) up; but, I haven't had time to decorate them, yet. Since Owen is only *almost 2*, I doubt he remembers our tree from last year. But, anyhow, he said "yes." So, I grabbed the camera, un-wrapped the ornament from the zip-lock, and handed it to him. Here's what happened:

Owen inspects the ornament, finds a spot, and tries to hang it. It doesn't really stay...

He tries another spot. Then, asks me to help him make it "stuck." So, I do. We stand back and admire it together.
Then, he looks at me and says "Tree upstairs, mama?". Oh man. This is not in my plan. You see, I got a white tree last year on clearance with the intention of using it in the playroom and putting ornaments that the boys make thoughout their MDO and school years on it. I want to put some of the very special ones they make (i.e. mom's favorites) on the tree downstairs...but, wanted "overflow" space upstairs for those that don't make it to the downstairs tree, if you know what I am getting at. wink, wink. I really, really wanted this one downstairs...its his first one. Now, he wants to put this ornament upstairs.
So, after a half-second of deliberation, I quickly decide he can put it where ever his little heart desires. I say, "sure". So, he takes it off this tree, heads to the stairs, tries to climb up holding it, thinks twice as it might "broken" if he carries it, and asks me to carry him.
He then spends some time searching for a good spot on this, also bare, tree.
...then, moves it to another spot. And then, at his request, I move the ornament to two other spots on that tree that are higher up.
I have a feeling we will be moving this ornament around a bit.

2 comments:

Jill said...

My heart just melted...what a sweet little guy!

The Rausch Family said...

I would love to just sit and chat with Owen!