Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring has Sprung!

Last weekend, the whole family ventured to the local nursery for a free class on growing veggies, fruit, and herbs. Inspired, we spent the evening planting our Meyer lemon and Satsuma orange trees.

I found some cute Owen-sized gardening stuff at Target for Owen. He so enjoys being a part of what his dad and I are doing...down to the gardening gloves. Ha!
He and Gerard emptied the old soil out of the containers as the plant guy suggested...we don't want to pass any disease onto our new fruit trees!
Liam was an awesome supervisor! He really must have listened well last week, because he only got upset when we forgot to put the coaster under the lemon tree. Poor tree would have frozen if we couldn't move it indoors in the cool weather--thanks, Liam!
Owen was awesome at digging and watering. Only problem is, he wants to keep on doing it. He doesn't get that the tree is now planted and that the dirt now belongs in the container WITH the tree. AND, poor thing only needs so much water. Oy.
Next week, I hope to replace a couple of my herbs that didn't make it through the winter. I also plan to plant a few veggies, and maybe a strawberry plant, in containers on our balcony. I think that will be a fun Spring Break project for the boys and me.
Here's hoping Owen has a green thumb, because the plants I have tried to grow in the past didn't fare so well.

0 comments: