Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bed Time

Daddy Q played tennis tonight, so I had both boys to bathe and get to bed. Liam was fussy off and on the whole time. When Owen got out of the bath {I'll digress for a second, because this is cute... Yesterday, I got Owen some letters and numbers that stick on the wall in the bathtub. He calls them all "2". He couldn't get out of the bath without as many "2s" as his little hands could carry. We battled with carrying all of those 2s during his night, night routine. The upside---he didn't want to put them down to brush his teeth}...so, I got to get in there and brush them really well for him ;-)....okay...back to the main story....when Owen got out of the bath, Liam was in the process of getting pretty tuned up. He was calm for a few minutes (long enough for teeth brushing and for Owen to get his diaper), and then started getting pretty angry.


Owen was very concerned, so I rocked Liam for a few minutes to calm him down and placed him in bed. Liam was still unhappy, but I needed to get Owen in jammies and bed so I could really tend to Liam...this is a constant battle I have when they both have needs at the same time...who wins mama time?!? rough stuff. Owen continued to be concerned and I told him that I would take care of his little brother just as soon as I could get Owen into bed. Owen looked up at me and then started walking out of the room....augh. He opened the doors in between his and Liam's rooms, marched on into Liam's room, put a handful of his 2s down, and then gently rocked the pack and play and said "bye baby." Oh. Now...that was just too sweet; but, I still had a crying baby. So, I reminded Owen that we needed to get him in bed so that mama could take care of Liam.
So, Owen sat for me to put on his jammies, gathered his 2s in both hands, walked to his room, asked for "bed" and stood at the foot of his big brother bed, and let me tuck him in.
I gave him a kiss and told him I loved him. I was walking out and he was beaming...had the biggest darn smile on his little face...I stopped for just a second to look at him again before turning out the lights and he smiled really big and just said "Bye, Mum."

I got the feeling that he wanted to be so big tonight so that I could take care of his little brother. Who knows what was really going on in his head, but that's what I think it was and it made me teary-eyed.

As for Liam, I scooped him up, took him downstairs, and loved him to sleep. That little 'un likes to be danced to sleep. He was snoozing peacefully himself about 20 minutes later.

Good night, all!

0 comments: