Wednesday, August 5, 2009

They are growing so fast...

Owen.

He has exponentially matured this month. Not sure if it is just the normal 18 mos - 19 mos cognitive blast, or the fact that he became a big brother, or a combination of the two. But, whatever it is, oh my stars.

At bedtime, he has started just letting me rock him for a couple of minutes and then put him in his bed. Used to be a 30 min - 1 hour long ritual. Tonight, for example, I was reading a book to Owen -- he picked Brown Bear, Brown Bear -- his very favorite! He was getting antsy in my lap, so I asked him if he was ready to lay in bed. Do you know what the little stinker did? He got out of my lap, walked to his bed with book in hand, and said "up". I stood him in bed and asked if he was taking his book to bed...he said "sure". Then said "night, night, Mama." Really?

Today we were all sick with a cold. Ick. When baby Liam was crying, Owen was very concerned. I told him we needed to love on Liam to make him feel better. Owen asked to sit in my lap, too. I thought he was feeling sorry for himself (he was sick as well) and just wanted attention, too. I was wrong. He wanted close to baby. He sat and patted baby Liam on the back and said "okay baby, okay baby" over and over. Melted my heart.

He has started picking up his toys when he is done with them. He did this all on his own, mind you, because I just leave them out until maid day knowing we are coming back to them tomorrow ;-) In the bath last night, he put every single toy in a container or on the ledge --that's a lot of toys. After the pile in his toy-holding frog got a little out of kilter, I suggested that maybe he just leave a few out. This child was determined...he got them all in there. I wish I had snapped a photo. I can't believe how he got them all balanced on one another without the whole lot falling over. Impressive.

Tonight, we were playing with the football...little dude threw an overhand pass to me that hit me in the chest 9 times out of 10. He was so proud of himself.

He is so patient when I am with baby. He just entertains himself, we sing songs, or we talk about animals and the sounds they make. But, when baby is asleep, Owen and I play, play, play. I get the biggest, most amazing hugs from him when its just me and him. I love him to bits!!

Liam.

What can I say? This little dude is growing like a weed and getting more and more alert and strong with each passing day. He now weighs in at 10 lbs 14 oz. He is already stretching his 0-3 month wardrobe pretty tight!!!

Tonight, I got the sweetest little smile from the fellow! That first smile just melted my heart. He was cooing up a storm and I was just looking him in the eye and talking back. Then it happened, the sweetest, gummy little smile was bestowed on me. Oh what joy!!

Liam is really trying to watch his big brother. He tracks him as best he can and gets a kick out of Owen shaking rattles and water toys in front of him to see. I think that Liam is sizing him up and making plans...

Liam has started standing up on those little legs of his. I have to admit, I was a bit concerned when I saw his little bird legs on his birth day. Thought that they might not hold up that torso of his any time soon ;-) But, here he is at 5 weeks stretching those suckers out and trying to hold his own weight on them. Awesomeness!

For the fun of it...here are a couple of videos of the boys in action. I would have more of Liam, but he was really fussy today...he has a cold and didn't feel well. So, this is it. But, it should be enough to make you so jealous that I get to spend all day with him!


And Owen...what a rascal!

0 comments: