Sunday, August 9, 2009

Move Over Babe Ruth...Make Room for Babe Quinlan

Owen, Liam, and I road-tripped to Grammie and Paw Paw Mc's for the weekend. Owen and I still have a darn summer cold and Baby Liam has a stomach bug. It was enough to make this mama crazy tired...so, I traveled in hope for a few extra winks of sleep! And, boy, did I get a treat. My mom and Larry spoiled me (and the kids) rotten!

Friday night, we kicked off the weekend the way Grammie and Paw Paw Mc kick off every weekend...with burgers and Texas Toothpicks from Koppe Bridge.

yum, yum.
slurp.

we debated whether to go or not, since Liam was fussy.

but, a bottle of Pedialyte at Koppe Bridge is just as good as one from home...

Saturday, Liam and Paw Paw Mc spent most of the day like this... well, Liam spent it like this. Paw Paw Mc spent it holding him and 1) chasing Owen, 2) feeding Owen, 3) bouncing up and down to soothe Liam, and 4) like this....
Saturday afternoon, the Astros were on and Owen was glued. So much so, that at one point he was pretty upset with Grammie from standing between he and the t.v. and causing him to miss seeing the pitch. Funny.

I was at Toys R Us to get a new activity mat for Liam and saw an Owen-sized bat and ball on sale {Daddy Q always tells me that we can go broke even if all the stuff I buy is on sale...but, I digress}. I got the ball and bat for Owen.
At home, Paw Paw Mc threw two pitches to me. I hit them both. Then, Owen reached for the bat...

got his grip....
took a practice swing....

...and hit that stinkin' ball.

...incredible.
he proceeded to play "basketball" over and over and over. he made contact with...no kidding...at least 75% of the pitches Paw Paw Mc threw him. When he did miss, he would say "uh oh ball" pick it up, and throw it back to his pitcher for his next try! Paw Paw Mc wanted a turn at bat--Owen let him hit once and then wanted the bat back.
Later that night, Paw Paw Mc went to take a shower, so Owen "asked" me to pitch. He missed about 75% of mine...after about 6 pitches, he was pretty fed up with me and I got a bat thrown end-over-end right toward my face. Owen got a little time out from his new "basketball" and I was reminded why I played first base when I was a kid....
Apparently, I need to work on my pitching so that my 19 month old will play nice with me.
On another note, thank you so much to those of you who have donated to the Susan Koman 3-day on my behalf!!! I am almost there!! I just need $445 more!!!!! If you haven't donated--will you consider it?!?!?! A link to my 3-Day page appears on the right side of the blog, underneath the links to our friend's blogs!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

0 comments: