Monday, August 24, 2009

Owen's Big Brother Bed

When it comes to raising my kiddos, I have lots of theories on how to do what and when. Mind you, I didn't come pre-wired with them...I am developing them as we go. So, when I decided before Liam was born that I did, in fact, want to use the crib that Owen currently slept in for the new baby, I found myself in need of a "transition to the big boy bed" theory.

From the moment I got a positive pregnancy test, I started subscribing to Parents magazine, Parenting -- The Early Years magazine, and Cookie magazine. Between these three subscriptions and all of the books that I have read on parenting (about sleep, discipline, raising "good" kids, etc.), I have just been soaking in the information until the time comes for me to do something with it {it goes without saying that the article I might have read when about toilet training didn't do me much good when I was only caring for 12 week old fetus ;-)}.

Well...I am now taking all of that info and coming up with my own thoughts on how to approach different phases. I am in overdrive at the moment given that I now have a busy, limit-testing toddler and a newborn that is a bit "less content" than his older brother was at the ripe ole age of 8 weeks old {yes...he is 8 weeks today...wow}.

So, here is what we are doing to get Owen out of the crib.

Since Owen has had so much change in his little life these days {he now has a stay-at-home-mom and doesn't see Mimi three times a week, a little brother that takes up attention Owen is used to having, and he is off to school next week}, I figure that I shouldn't also impose on him a "you-must-give-up-your-bed-that-you-know-and-love-to-your-baby-brother-cause-he-is-ready-for-it" change on him, too. So, we are making a three - four week transition to the new bed.

Yesterday was the big day. Other than the new bedding, I have left Owen's room just like it is. His crib is still there with the same bedding on it...same rug....same rocking chair...same books...etc. Well, i did change the curtains, but, otherwise...same everything. I haven't gotten any new furniture for the room...won't do that until he is really comfortable in the new bed. I want the room to stay pretty much the same. {...mind you....Owen really isn't a high maintainace kid. I probably don't need to go to this much effort to keep it all the same...I mean he slept in a pack & play in Mexico with a beach towel and not the beloved "khaki" that mom and dad accidentally left at home...but, I am going to this much effort anyway...I just want it to be easy for him...}
Anyway...the crib he knows and loves is still in there and available to him. But, the big bed is, too. Over the next 3-4 weeks, we'll put him to bed in the big bed. If he chooses to stay in it and sleep...great. If he comes out of his bedroom door, then we will put him to bed in his crib. If he asks for the crib at bedtime...then that's where he gets to go...no pressure whatsoever to sleep in the new bed. After a month, if he is in the new bed fairly often, then we will move the crib out. If not, then Liam will just get a new crib and Owen can keep his until he is ready to part ways with it.
Owen was a big part of putting the bedding on the bed with us. He came in and out of the room; at one point, he got on the quilt in the floor and pointed the balls, bats, and hats out to Grammie, Mack, Daddy, and me. When it was all put together, he posed for pictures {of course} and then we went on with our day.
At nighttime, Owen and I did his bath, got his jammies on, and then laid in what we are calling the "big brother bed" to read books. After reading a few, I asked if he was ready to sleep in his big brother bed. He said, "bed" and pointed to the crib. I put him in the crib and said good night. Usually he would lay right down. Not last night...he wanted to watch an Elmo video. Since it was about 45 minutes earlier than his usual bed time, I let him {eat ice cream with me and} watch Elmo.
Then, it really was time for bed. Daddy Q placed him in his big brother bed....we said good night, and Daddy sat outside the door to listen/wait. After about 10 minutes, Owen was pulling on the door handle. So, Daddy Q went in and put him in his crib and said goodnight.
This morning, the first thing Owen wanted to do when he woke, was to sit in his big brother bed with mom {he has quit calling me mama....}.
At nap time, I asked if he wanted to nap in his big brother bed...he said "Uh huh". So...I put him down to nap in it and walked out.
I could hear him talking..."See Bat." "See Ball." "Where's Bubba?" "See Football" {btw...this is a new word for him today--'til today every ball is a basketball or soccer ball}. I thought that for sure he was out of the bed just hanging out in his room and about to come out any minute. Then...it got quiet. It stayed quiet...very quiet. After about 45 minutes I HAD to go see where he was. I assumed I would find him on the floor asleep...but alas....
What a big boy.

0 comments: